Monday, September 22, 2008

A visit with Kirk and Chris


Some impressions from our first few hours in Orlando:

- the little Asian guy that sat next to Ana on the plane that practically stole her magazine and was rude enough to tell her, 'I'm done,' and handed it back to her. What a tool.

- the humidity that hit us when walked out of the terminal - just like it's been described - like a hot towel slapped in your face.

- water, water everywhere...and not a drop to drink - unless you want a gator to snap your head off...or arm...true story...Kirk told us.

- Chris and Kirk's place is super cool, and surrounded by some of the hugest most unbelievable properties and houses I've ever seen.


We arrived and met Chris in the terminal and set out to for the car after collecting our luggage in the very crowded airport. We headed out to the house, as Chris took us the 'long way' so we could see more of Orlando and downtown. Since this was my first time to Orlando (Ana had traveled there with Guitar Center for work) I was eager to see all I could see. I was a bit bummed out I didn't see Epcot or Disney World from the plane and was dissappointed to hear it was about 30mins outside the city. So I saw more sites, asked more questions and low and behold - Harley-Davidson of Orlando was just off the expressway!!! "Can we pull off?" I asked, adding "I gotta get a shirt!" Which is a trade among HD riders to have a collection of places you've been. Really it's where you've ridden too, but, well, I'm a cheater...go figure. I got some goods, and we were off and to the house.
As we entered Chris and Kirks town of Winter Park and weaved through the brick layered streets, both Ana and I were taken back by the properties. Holy crap man! There's some old money combined with some new money, with some NBA money, and yea, probably some mafia money too! So let's just say...they show it off!
We pulled up to the house and Kirk met us outside, we headed in and dropped our gear, and Kirk showed us around their place. There place is total cool and like the perfect hideaway cottage type of place. Lots of windows and a really cool room for Chris and Kirk to do their writing and studying. They gave us the full tour and then headed out on the town.


First Kirk took us on the House Tour, and we saw more and more of these houses/mansions that surrounded the area. It was just unbelievable what we saw. Amongst these homes was that of the president of the school Full Sail (where Kirk worked and helped to start up/build in Florida). Kirk and Chris explained that he is a very modest and humble guy, but his house they were building was a huge-mansion with multiple garages and rooms, as well as dining and evening rooms for parties. Kirk said that the president has lived very, very modest for years prior, but the amount of entertaining that he and his wife do, they can and will use the property. I'm sure it's a HUGE tax write off, because as business savvy that this team of the head of FS is, I'm SURE that's what will happen. Gawd I love America - NICE!


We went out for food and stopped at a BBQ place that they, like us, never have been too. Not being big BBQ fans, Kirk and Chris humored me, since those that know me - I'm a HUGE fan. It was good, not great by my standards, but it satisfied. We finished up dinner, and to our surprise when we walked outside it was raining. Not too much compared to what was yet to come, but enough for Kirk to pull the car around so we could hop in the car quickly.


Kirk drove us around, even in the rain, to see Full Sail where Kirk had worked, and Chris and he both go to school. From what we did see it was quite impressive and they own a whole city block that used to be a shopping center but has been converted to class rooms and studios. But the rain just kept coming down, and the wipers were on full blast, and lightening strikes were, well, pretty dang close! So I think that was the signal to get back to the house.


Now, I've SEEN the rain come down and I've seen some down pours, but I've never, EVER been in buckets! You know those cartoons or drawings of the dark clouds with lines drawn to represent the rain falling in straight lines, like streams? THAT is what this was! It was like a constant pour - unbelievable. We pulled to the front of the house, and made the run for it! It was only a short distance, maybe 5-10 jogging steps - but it was enough exposure. We were all soaked.


We got in, changed up into our warm PJs, and put on the film Once. Highly recommend it. Definitely on my Top Ten. We were all a bit exhausted, and turned in for the night. The week would be a busy one, and Ana and I were excited about our first full day in Winter Park with Kirk and Chris.

2 comments:

christianne said...

Awwww! This is such a sweet story of your first day! It's fun to hear it from your point of view. Can't wait to hear more (even though I was there -- ha ha!).

By the way, I totally didn't even know until right now that BBQ is, like, your favorite type of food. I know you guys like Lucille's . . . but didn't know it was your favorite. Sorry for being bummed a bit that we'd ended up there! Now I feel like a tool, just like the lame guy next to Ana on the plane. :)

Momma Sue said...

Loved, loved, LOVED reading your impressions of Winter Park--they were sooo mine too. Didn't I tell you?!?! That little city is just glorious--I absolutely LOVE the architecture and feel of most of the neighborhoods: the older parts that have such history, and the newer parts that keep the "older" feeling. It's like the Wood Streets here in Riverside, only BETTER because of all the lakes and huge mansions mixed in! Love it.
Thanks for continuing the tour commentary of your time there...I look forward to the next installment. :) (Love your writing style too, Bob. It's so YOU--I can just hear your voice.)

I love you both and miss you and Ana so much.
Mom
XOXO